Millions of people use some form of Webmail for their email needs. Web-based email applications include GMail and Yahoo Mail, as well as applications to access mail on hosted servers, such as Horde and Squirrel Mail. Web-based email applications store your email on hosted servers, such as with Horde and Squirrel Mail, or “in the cloud,” such as with Yahoo Mail and GMail. If you have a webmail account, you should regularly back up your important communications. Most Web-based email applications include the functionality to export your email data to a downloadable file. To back up GMail or Yahoo Mail, you must enable the POP3 protocol and use an email client, such as Outlook, on your computer.
Backup Webmail in Horde
1. Open your Horde email account in a Web browser and log in with your account credentials.
2. Click the “Mail” option in the left navigation panel.
3. Click the “Folders” icon in the top navigation menu. A list of folders for your account opens. Each folder has a checkbox in front of the folder name.
4. Check the checkbox in front of each folder you would like to export to a file.
5. Click the “Choose Action” drop-down menu, and then click the “Download” option. Your email data is downloaded and saved in the MBox file format.
Backup Webmail in GMail
1. Open your GMail account in a Web browser and log in with your account credentials.
2. Click the “Settings” link, and then click the “Forwarding and POP/IMAP” option.
3. Click the radio button labeled “Enable POP for All Nail (even mail that’s already been downloaded).”
4. Click the “When Messages are Accessed with POP” drop-down list, and then click the “Keep GMail’s Copy in the Inbox” option.
5. Click the “Save Changes” button to save the settings.
6. Click the “Configuration Instructions” link in the “POP Download” sections to view the settings for your email client. Enter the POP3 settings provided by GMail into your email client.
7. Check your GMail email account using your email client. Your email is downloaded and backed up onto your computer.
Backup Webmail in Yahoo Mail
1. Open your Yahoo Mail account and log in with your credentials. Click the “Yahoo Classic” option to view your email account in the classic interface.
2. Click the “Options” drop-down box in the top right corner of the interface, and then click the “Mail Plus” option.
3. Click the “Upgrade Now” button and purchase the Mail Plus subscription, if you do not already have the upgraded version. Mail Plus is required to configure POP settings for downloading your email.
4. Click the “POP & Forwarding” link in the left navigation panel.
5. Click the radio button next to the “Allow Your Yahoo Mail to be POPed” option.
6. Click the drop-down box, and then click an option for SPAM email. You can choose to include SPAM with your POP download, or you can enable Yahoo Mail to handle SPAM messages.
7. Click the “Save Changes” button.
8. Open the POP Yahoo Mail Plus with Another Email Client instructions and use the POP and SMTP settings to configure your email client. Set up your Yahoo account in your email client.
9. Check your email with your email client. Your Yahoo Mail email is downloaded to your computer.